Our aim is quite simply to provide you with the best logs which your money will buy! If you are not completely satisfied with your logs then give us a call and we will do everything we can to ensure that your worries are addressed.
Visit our firewood shop to buy logs that we’ll deliver straight to you.
Production and Material
Our Firewood comes from local, sustainable sources, and is processed and stored at our yard near West Linton, in the Pentland Hills.
What makes our firewood so good:
- Only best of material used –
- Hardwoods – mainly Sycamore, Ash, Birch
- Softwoods – Pine and Larch
- As dry as possible – moisture reading should be sub 25%. Logs are seasoned for at least a year, processed into ventilated bags, and stored under cover.
- Uniform product – length does not exceed 27cms (11 inches).
- Ventilated bags – measuring 90 x 90 x 90cms. In order to ensure that our bags can be stacked in the shed, they are extremely well filled!
We will deliver your logs, neatly in the bag, direct to you. (We like to recover the bags, but work on an honesty basis – there is no charge for the bag, and either we ask that you return it when empty, or that you hold onto it until such time as we deliver again).
If space is limited, the bag may require to be dropped on a kerb or pavement.
We aim to deliver within a few days of receipt of order, but will try to work to your requirements. Our delivery drivers work Monday - Friday.
Hardwood or Softwood – the Facts!
Calorific value is generally measured in kilojoules per cubic metre. Calorific value varies according to moisture content, but the calorific value of softwood is approx. 75% of that of hardwoods. What this means in practice is that hardwood will burn slower, and for longer, than softwoods.
Softwoods, on the other hand, will often give off more heat more quickly.
But the most important consideration, is that the timber should be dry.
We make no charge for our high quality bags at the time of delivery, but we do like to recover the empties.
Please either return, or advise us if you have bags to uplift.
Size of Logs
We take great care with the processing, to ensure that you receive a uniform product, not exceeding 27cms (11 ins).
If you require smaller logs for a small stove, we occasionally hold limited stocks of smaller material so please ask.
We keep a range of other products in stock, including:
- Firelighters – a particularly good natural product, made from sawdust and woodshavings, and manufactured locally – called “Waxlings.”
- Briquettes – again, manufactured locally. Very low moisture content – 6-8%, and with a long, slow burn time, they are ideal for stoves.
Firewood Pricing Structure
For our current prices please go to our firewood shop where you can also purchase the logs directly.
VAT on Firewood is charged at 5%.
We make a small charge for delivery but this reduces depending on how many bags are ordered. For more information, please see our firewood delivery for detailed delivery costs. Our shopping basket and checkout will calculate the delivery cost for you after products are added.